Kamenets-Podolski


Kamenets-Podolski
, a town in the Khmelnitski district of Ukraine and a district capital until the 1950s.

The area was under the Lithuanian control from the 14th century, and remained so after the unification of Poland and Lithuania in 1569, except for a short but formative period of the Ottoman rule between 1672 and 1699; the territory passed to Russia in 1795, and from then on until the Revolution of 1917 Kamenets-Podolski remained the capital of the province of Podolia.

The roots of Kamenets-Podolski Jewish community

For a long time the municipality of Kamenets-Podolski prevented any attempts of the local Jews to settle in this important trading and commerce center in the southeastern Poland-Lithuania. In 1447 any Jews were prohibited from staying here for more than three days. In 1598 King Sigismund III prohibited Jews from settling in the city and suburbs and from engaging in trade there; their visits were again restricted to three days only.

From Sefer shimush, by Ya‘akov Emden (Amsterdam, 1757 or 1758). A drawing depicting the bishop of Kamenets-Podolski, Mikołaj Dembowski, drinking in celebration after the burning of the Talmud, carried out at his order.