Rotmistrovka

Rachmastrivka, ראחמסטריווקא (Yiddish), Rotmistrzowka (Polish), Ротмистровка, Rotmistrovka (Russian)

Rostmistrivka is a village in the Smiliansky district, Cherkassy region. Its population was 2,156 people in 2001.

Before the revolution, Rotmistrovka was a shtetl of Cherkassy uyezd, Kiev guberniya. In 1905, it had two synagogues.

A Jewish community appeared in Rotmistrivka in the XVII century.

In 1863, the population of the town consisted of 1,946 Christians and 965 Jews. According to the census of 1897, 4,823 people lived in Rotmistrivka, including 1,785 Jews.

Rotmistrovka entrepreneurs list from Russian Empire Business Directories by 1913
Rotmistrovka entrepreneurs list from Russian Empire Business Directories by 1913

In the second half of the XIX century, the spiritual leader of the community was Rabbi Yohanan Tversky, and Rotmistrivka was transformed into one of the centers of Hasidism. He was succeeded by his son Rabbi Mordechai.

Rabbi Yohanan Tversky (1812, Chernobyl – 1895, Rotmistrivka) – the eighth son of Rabbi Mordechai of Chernobyl, the grandson of the founder of the Chernobyl Hassidic dynasty, Rabbi Menachem Nohum Ben Tzvi.

In 1911, the rabbi was S. Olin.

In 1914, about 350 Jewish families lived in the shtetl.