Fastov


Фастов (Russian), Хвастів – Khvastiv (Formerly), כוואסטוב ,חוואסטוב (Yiddish)

Fastov is a historic city located in Kiev region, center of Fastov district. Fastov is located on the Unava River, a tributary of the Irpen. The city’s estimated population is 47,284 (as of 2016).

Fastov became a part of Russia Empire in 1793, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was shtetl of Vasylkov Yezd of Kiev Gubernia.

Fastov is approx. 40 km from Belaya Tserkov and in 73 km from Kiev.

Beginning

While the first Jewish community was officially established in 1750, the first Jewish settlement in Fastiv can be traced back to the 17th century.

The middle of the XVIII century was marked with devastating pogroms for the Fastov jewish community that suffered greatly from Haidamaks, paramilitary Cossack bands. 1768 was the hardest year for the Jews living in the town.

Jewish population of Fastov:
1847 – 2694 jews
1897 – 5595 (52%)
1905 – 7095
1939 – 3545 jews
2015 – 31 jews

In the 18th century the community was mentioned in connection with development of Hasidism; there is a legend that the Baal Shem Tov spent Shabbats in Fastiv. From 1772 to 1776, at the insistence of Rabbi Nahum from Chernobyl, the mentor of Fastov community was Rabbi Abraham ha-Malah, the son of Rabbi Dov Ber from Mezhirichi.

Rabbi Gabai, head of "Ohelei Tzadikim" ogranisation, on the front of ohel of Rabbi Abraham ha-Malah during reconstruction in 2016, Fastov Jewish cemetery