Gorodnya

Horodna (Polish), Городня (Ukrainian), Городня – Gorodnia (Russian)

Gorodnya is a historic town (since 1957) located in Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine, center of Gorodnya district. Gorodnya is located on the Chibrizh River. The city’s estimated population is 12,766 (as of 2011).

Gorodnya became a part of Russia Empire in 1667, in XIX – beginning of XX century it was center of Gorodnya Yezd of Chernigov Gubernia.

In 1764, more than 300 Jews lived in Horodnia, mostly artisans and merchants.

A Jewish burial society existed in Horodnia in 1845. According archival documents a synagogue was erected in the city in 1863.

Jewish population of Gorodnya:
1863 — 525 (15,6%)
1886 — 1587 Jews
1897 — 1249 (28,9%)
1920 — 1965 Jews
1926 — 1359 (27,2%)
1939 — 731 Jews
2014 ~ 10 Jews

From 1878-1900 the spiritual Rabbi was Shmuel Lerner.

Official Rabbi:
1861 – Simon Rabinovich
02.1883 – ? Ruvim Gilelevich Tartakovskiy
1885 – 1887 Ruvim Gilelevich Tartakovskiy
1888 – 07.1890 Moses Markovich Sokolovskiy
08.1890-1894 Aaron Shmerkovich Lisicyn (1840-?)
03.1894 09.1894 Aizik Moiseevich Dimentman
09.1894-1897 Dashoshevskiy Iosel Abramovich
10.1897 – ? Morduh Borisovich Feigin (1871 – ?)
06.1911 – 1907 Itzhak Zalmanovich Shneerson (1879, Kamenets-Podolskiy – 1969, Paris)
07.1911 – 1917 Nahim-Gershon Yankelevich Berlin

Monument on the Holocaust mass grave near khutor Aleshkinskoe