Korosten

Искорость – Iskorost’ (Russian), Коростень – Korosten’ (Ukrainian)

Korosten (Iskorosten – by 1923) is a town, a district center in Zhitomir region. Since the 14th century it has been incorporated into the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Since 1569 it has been a part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Since 1793 – a part of the Russian Empire.

In the XIX – early XX centuries it was a shtetl of Ovruch uyezd, Volyn gubernia.

Beginning

Jews in Korosten were first mentioned in 965.

In the mid-XVII century, Cossack squads of Bogdan Khmelnitskiy almost completely destroyed Jewish population of Korosten. A Jewish community was reborn in the XVIII century.

In 1865, there were two synagogues in Korosten.

Korosten entrepreneurs list from Russian Empire Business Directories by 1913, part 1
Korosten entrepreneurs list from Russian Empire Business Directories by 1913, part 1

In the XIX century, the construction of the Warsaw – Kiev – St Petersburg railroad line contributed to the demographic and economic growth of the settlement. In 1897 1,266 Jews were living in Korosten, where they comprised 48 percent of the total population. By 1914 numerous local shops and small businesses were owned by Jews.