Luginy

Luhin (Yiddish), Лугины – Luginy (Russian)

Luginy, an urban-type settlement (since 1967)is a district center in the Zhytomyr region.

In the XVII-XVIII centuries it was governed by the Kiev voivodeship as part of the Commonwealth, and since 1793 by the the Russian Empire. In the XIX – early XX centuries it was in the township of Luginy Ovruch uyezd, Volyn Gubernia.

Jewish population of Luginy:
1847 – 1154 Jews
1897 – 1599 (64%)
1923 – 1709 Jews
1939 – 857 (37%)
1989 – 20 Jews
2017 – 2 Jews

In the early XVII century, there was a Jewish community in Luginy. In 1648, Jews escaped from Luginy, rescuing themselves from attacks by Cossack detachments of B. M. Khmelnitsky. In 1721, the Jewish community was reborn.

In 1867, there were two synagogues in Luginy. Basic occupations of the Jewish population were handicrafts, mainly sewing, shoemaking,and woodworking, and small trade.

In 1914, Jews owned the only drugstore, pharmacy warehouse, the only warehouse of kerosene. there were 71 shops including 37 grocery stores and 15 factories.

Luginy entrepreneurs list from Russian Empire Business Directories by 1913
Luginy entrepreneurs list from Russian Empire Business Directories by 1913