Makarov

Makarov is a city, district center of Kiev region. The city’s estimated population is 11.860 (as of 2006).

It is known since the early 17th century. In the XVII-XVIII centuries it was a part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1793 it was incorporated into the Russian Empire. In the XIX and early XX centuries, it was a shtetl of Kiev uyezd (district) in Kiev gubernia.

Head of local museum Vitaliy Hedz, US tourist Aaron Ginsburg and author of this article in Makarov museum, 2017
Head of local museum Vitaliy Hedz, US tourist Aaron Ginsburg and author of this article in Makarov museum, 2017

Beginning

According to some historical sources, Jews in Makarov appeared in the second part of the XVIII century. A synagogue was built there and it became the residence of one of the first rabbis of Kiev region.

In 1754, a fact of beating several Jews by the local police was recorded in documents.

Jewish population of Makarov:
1765 – 217 Jews
1852 – 1150Jews
1897 – 3953 (74%)
1926 – 582 (14%)
1939 – 269 (8%)
2017 ~ 10 Jews

In 1765, it numbered 217 people. From the beginning of the 19th century, the town belonged to landowner Mikhail Pavsha, and later to his son Ksaveriy and his grandson Nikolay Ksaveryevich; their estate administration was located in the town.
In the XIX century, the Jewish population of Makarov was severely suffering from frequent fires that took place in 1854, 1855, 1856, 1859.