Novgorod-Seversky

Novgorod-Seversky, city in Chernigov district, Ukraine.

During the 14th century, Novgorod-Seversky was conquered by the princes of Lithuania; in the 16th and 17th centuries it was alternately in the hands of the Poles and the Russians; and in 1667 it was definitively annexed by Russia.

Beginning

A Jewish settlement is mentioned for the first time in a residence permit granted to the townspeople by King Sigismund III Vasa (1587–1632) of Poland. According to the permit Jews were forbidden to sell meat in the town, except in the courtyard of the synagogue. Also included were several tax levies which Jews were ordered to pay.

Novgorod-Severskiy before Revolution
Novgorod-Severskiy before Revolution

During the Chmielnicki persecutions of 1648 many Jews in Novgorod- Seversky were massacred by the Cossacks.

The community was renewed only in the late 18th century. In 1847 1,336 Jews were registered in the community; by 1897 the number had risen to 1,956 (32% of the total population).

Here is a list of Jews in Novgorod-Seversky county – 1882, 1888 and 1910. You can download it.

In 1892, there were six private Jewish schools and a state Jewish school in Novhorod-Sivers’kyi. At that time Rabbi was Haim Bogin.