Kagarlik has been a town since 1971, a district center of Kiev region. It’s history goes back to 1590. In the XVII – XVIII centuries Kagarlik was a part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Kagarlik was incorporated into the Russian Empire since 1793. In the XIX and early XX centuries, it was a shtetl of Kiev uiezd, Kiev gubernia.

Part of the information for this article was provided by Lubov Petrovna Tkachenko, who had been the head of the Kagarlik museum for 40 years.

In the XIX – early XX centuries, most Jews of Kagarlik worked in crafts as well as the wholesale and retail trade. The town had market days and fairs where people could buy and sell cattle.
Jews owned 83 industrial enterprises, shops, and bars. 15 factories out of 16 were owned by Jews. The Jews also owned six bakeries, three butcher shops, an inn, as well as other enterprises.

Since 1875 The Rabbi was Tsvi-Leibish Podgoretskii (1847-?)

Kagarlik entrepreneurs list from Russian Empire Business Directories by 1913. Part 1

Jewish population of Kagarlik:
1861 – 808 Jews
1897 – 1414 (21%)
1910’s ~ 2000
1923 – 275 Jews
1939 – 325 Jews
1999 – 15 Jews

The royal commission from St. Petersburg reported that Tzaddik David Tverskoi had an impact on the Jewish population of South Russia during the late 19th century: “Huge Hasids were riding horses along the streets of Kagarlik. They looked for the Jews who were hiding in their houses and didn’t want to meet Tzaddik Duvidl. Hasid Moshko Krivoi was riding a horse with a trumpet in his hands. He was blowing into it and screaming: “Long live David, king of Israel! Kagarlik is in our hands. Kagarlik is ours!!!” They found a gabbai of the local synagogue, took him out of his house and put him in front of the leading hasids. They asked him, “Do you accept the power of Tzaddik rabbi Duvidl, king of Israel?!” He answered he did.”