Korsun

Korsun’ (Russian), Korsuń Szewczenkowski (Polish), Korsun-Schewtschenkiwskyj (German), Korsun’-Shevchenkovskiy – Корсунь-Шевченковский (Russian), Корсунь-Шевченківський (Ukrainian)

Korsun-Shevchenkovskiy (Korsun until 1944) is a town since 1938, a district center in Cherkassy region.

It was founded by the Grand Prince of Kiev Yaroslav the Wise in 1032. In 1584, Korsun received the Magdeburg Charter. In the XVI-XVIII centuries it was a part of Kiev Voivodship in Rzeczpospolita (Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1569–1795). In 1793 Korsun became part of the Russian Empire.

In the XIX – early XX century Korsun was a shtetl in the Kanev Yesd, Kiev province.

Klavdiya Kolesnikova, the founder of Korsun Jewish museum who provided all information for this article
Klavdiya Kolesnikova, the founder of Korsun Jewish museum who provided all information for this article

There were two more towns with large Jewish communities in the Korsun area – Shenderovka and Steblev

Beginning

The Jews would settle in Korsun in the beginning of the XVII century.

In 1622, Lublin Tribunal made a decision to send to “exile” those Jews of Korsun who didn’t obey the verdict of the Kiev court, following the case between them and the Korsun elder Yan Danilovich. This court decision was the first known written evidence of the Jewish community in Korsun, largely destroyed in the khmelnytsky uprising in mid-XVII century.