Medvin

Medvin is a town in Boguslav district of Kiev region. The town’s estimated population is 3,450 (as of 2007).

It was founded in 1362. In 1569 it was incoporated into the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and in 1620-1648, Medvin recieved Magdeburg Rights. In 1793 Medvin was incorporated into the Russian Empire.
In XIX – early XX centuries it was a shtetl of Kaniv district, Kiev gubernia.

Beginning

Jews have been living in Medvin since the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. In XIX – early XX centuries the main occupations of the Jewish population were crafts, petty trade, and rent.

In the early XIX century Jews owned five stalls and three mills. In 1896 – 1901, Shimshon-Aron Polonskiy (1876-1948) was a rabbi in Medvin. In 1910, there were two synagogues and a Jewish cemetery in Medvin.

Medvin entrepreneurs list from Russian Empire Business Directories by 1913
Medvin entrepreneurs list from Russian Empire Business Directories by 1913

In 1914, Jews owned a drugstore, three wood warehouses, and 26 stalls, including 15 groceries and eight manufactures.
There were two synagogues in Medvin; they were situated one opposite to the other.

On the 24th of March 1918, a pogrom took place in Medvin. It was organized by the local peasants.
Jewish stalls and goods were burnt.