Olshana

Olshana is a town in Gorodishche district, Cherkassy region. The town’s estimated population is 3,256 (as of 2011).

It was established around 1598 and has been a part of the Russian Empire since 1793. In the XIX – early XX centuries, it was a shtetl in the Zvenigorodka district, Kiev gubernia.

Beginning

In 1847, the Jewish community consisted of 689 people, and in 1897 – 1233 (20%).

In 1867, a synagogue was functioning in Olshana. Eliezer-Leyb Shapiro (1858-?) was the rabbi in Olshana since 1892.

Jewish population of Olshana:
1847 – 689 Jews
1861 – 850 (22%)
1897 – 1233 (20%)
1923 – 916 Jews
1939 – 195 Jews
1993 – 1 Jews
2016 – 0

Crafts and trade were the main occupations of the Jewish population in the 19th – early 20th centuries. In 1914, Jews owned a drugstore and forty-five stalls in Olshana, including all eleven groceries and three small wares shops.

By 1900, 1,953 (11%) Jews lived in Vilshana district. In 1914, Chaim-Gersh Mordkovich Labskir and Chaim-Yudko Moshkovich Dukhovnyy were the members of the peasant council.

There were two synagogues in Olshana.

Olshana in the beginning of XX century.