Vasilkov

Vasilkov is a city in Kiev region with a population, as of 2013, of 36,672.

Vasilkov was incorporated into the Russian Empire in 1686 and belonged to the Kiev-Pechersk Monastery till 1785.
In 1796, it became a center of the Vasilkov uyezd of Kiev gubernia.

In 1648, Vasilkov was conquered by chmielnicki’s cossacks who massacred its inhabitants, Jews and Poles alike. Since Vasilkov was annexed to Russia in 1686 no Jewish community existed there until the second partition of Poland in 1792.

Vasilkov was a Chasidic community and for some time David b. Nahum Twersky of Chernobyl lived there. The Jews in Vasilkov engaged in crafts, small-scale business, and worked in local tanneries.

Vasilkov entrepreneurs list from Russian Empire Business Directories by 1913, part 1
Vasilkov entrepreneurs list from Russian Empire Business Directories by 1913, part 1

Jewish population of Vasilkov:
1799 – 1478 Jews
1802 – 1889 Jews
1861 – 2999 Jews
1897 – 5156 (40%)
1926 – 3061 (14%)
1939 – 1736 (11%)
2017 ~ 100 Jews

In 1861, there was one synagogue and two prayer houses in Vasilkov.Tailoring and trade were the most spread occupations amongst Jews of Vasilkov uiezd. There were approximately 4,400 Jews in the town and nearby villages.