Buky

Buky is a small town in Mankovka district, Cherkassy region. The town’s estimated population is 2,134 (2007). Since 1793 it’s been a part of the Russian Empire. In the XIX – early XX centuries, it was a shtetl of Uman district, Kiev province.

Beginning

The first mention of Buky in historical record was in 1554.

In the early 18th century a synagogue was built in Buky and two more ones in the late XIX.

In the 1740’s, count Kiselev sold his Buky-Antonovka estate to duke Liubomirskiy who had attached nearby village Antonovka to Buky. At that time there were 496 households in both settlements. 3,133 people lived there including 260 Jewish households which contained 1,558 people.

Buky entrepreneurs list from Russian Empire Business Directories by 1913
Buky entrepreneurs list from Russian Empire Business Directories by 1913

Jewish population of Buky:
1847 – 1182 Jews
1897 – 2298 (59%)
1923 – 281 Jews
1939 – 546 Jews
1950’s ~ 100
2016 – 1 Jew

In 1893, the Jews were prohibited to pray in new synagogues because the latter ones were situated at intervals less than it was allowed by law from the church.

In 1909, there was a Talmud-Torah and a private Jewish women’s college, in 1912 – a Jewish craft savings-and-loan society.